Did you ever think you’re family would beg for kale salad? Me either. Then I threw this recipe together on a whim and now they won’t stop asking for it. Kale people…. the keep asking me for kale!!
It seems to be the talk of every family gathering I bring it to as well. I can say without hesitation… it is THE BEST kale salad recipe I’ve ever eaten. And by the response I’ve gotten from my families toughest critics… I think you will also agree!
Kale tends to get a bad rap. Sure it’s just another green vegetable that you are being told to add to your diet, but did you know that kale is among one of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet? And for good reason…
Five reasons to add kale to your diet
- Kale is a super source of minerals.
- Kale is loaded with antioxidants.
- Kale is an excellent source of vitamins C and K.
- Kale is high in lutein which supports eye health.
- Kale can help lower cholesterol.
Whether you are buying organic or conventional, make sure you are washing your kale well. I love the thieves fruit and veggie soak for all my vegetables. You can purchase it retail here or sign up as a member to get wholesale pricing here.The entire line of thieves products are incredible. Plant and mineral based non toxic cleaners. Just don’t buy it off Amazon, its a knock off and who knows what the heck is in it! Yikes.
It seems that everywhere you turn kale is now on the menu. Kale salads, kale smoothies, kale chips.. the list goes on. If you’ve struggled adding kale into your diet… try this trick. Give it a good rub down! Yes, I am telling you to massage your leafy greens.
Do you have to massage kale?
Massaging kale is totally optional, although I highly recommend it, especially in salads. Kale on its own can be a bit too course, bitter and poky-chewy to be really enjoyable. Massaging the kale helps to break down the tough cell structure and gives the kale a softer texture and gentler flavor, that is more appealing in a lot of raw preparations like salads, and is supposedly easier to digest, too.
Obviously when adding to smoothies, casseroles or sautés there is no need to massage your kale. But I highly recommend it if you are eating it raw.
How to massage kale
- Remove the kale leaf from its stem. I Like do this with my hands but feel free to use a knife. Start at the top and gently grip the leaf, slide your hand down the stem pulling it with you.
- Chop kale into bite size pieces.
- Add the chopped kale to a bowl and drizzle with olive oil and salt. This will help to tenderize the kale.
- With your hands start massaging the oil and salt into the kale. You want to really break the kale down, so use your fingers. Massage for 2-3 minutes or until you notice a color change in the leaf. It will be vibrant and shiny, silky and smooth.
- From here start adding in your favorite toppings for a delicious salad!
How to make The Best Kale salad
This salad is as simple as can be. If you’ve been here for long, you know I’m terrible at measuring ingredients. I like to add a bit of this and a sprinkle of that LOL. I did my best to get this recipe right.
Readers digest version… after you massage your kale, measure and dump the remaining ingredients! Toss and serve. Simple as that!
I’d love to know if you make this for your family! Leave a comment below and tell us how you liked it!!
The Best kale Salad Ever
- 1 bunch of kale
- 1 bottle primal kitchen caesar dressing
- 3/4 cup organic caesar croutons, crushed measurement is for crushed croutons.
- 3/4 cup fresh parmasan, grated fresh parmasan cheese is a key ingredient, don't cut corners on this for best flavor.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- dash kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
- squeeze fresh lemon
Wash kale with thieves fruit and veggie soak and remove stem.
Chop into bite sized pieces.
Add kale to a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with oilve oil and a sprinkle of salt. Massage kale until silky and smooth.
Grate your fresh parmasan cheese, measure and set aside.
Crush croutons until fine and only small chunks remain. Measure 1 cup of crushed croutons and set aside.
Start with 1/2 the bottle of dressing and drizzle over kale. Toss. Add more dressing if needed.
Add cheese and croutons and toss untilblended.
Salt and pepper to taste.
I hope you love this salad as much as we do! Hit the grocery store, make it and then leave me comment below if you liked it!