Easy Skillet Lasagna by Clean Eats & Treats
It was one of those crazy days where I had full intentions of making a big pan of cheesy ooey-gooey loaded veggie lasagna for Sunday dinner per my families request.
After rushing my daughter to work, church and then meetings following we didn’t make it home until almost five. I promised my oldest daughter we would finish up her college applications and my four year old we would go for a drive to look at the Christmas lights. Double booking myself as usual. If any of this was happening before midnight dinner had to be quick!
No time to prep and bake at this point. Cereal? Wishful thinking. They were all looking forward to lasagna so I thought why not throw all the same ingredients into a pan and call it a skillet dinner? Genius. It was a huge hit!
Easy Skillet Lasagna
- 1 lb Italian turkey sausage removed from casings
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow pepper diced
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1 cup shredded zucchini you could dice too but shredded is sneakier
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 can 14 1/2 ounces diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic, drained
- 1 jar clean marinara sauce I like White Linen brand or RAO's
- 3 cups whole wheat rotini or pasta of choice
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves minced
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan for garnish optional
Cook pasta (mini lasagna would be perfect, but you can use any gluten free, whole grain or other pasta- even zoodles) according to package directions until al dente. Drain, rinse and set aside.
Add olive oil to a large skillet and heat over medium. Add onion and pepper and sauté until onion is translucent. Add 2 cloves garlic, red pepper, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning and sauté until fragrant. About 30 seconds. Crumble sausage into skillet and cook until no longer pink, breaking meat up with a wooden spoon. Drain fat if needed.
Add mushrooms, zucchini, and tomatoes to meat mixture. Continue to simmer for another 5 minutes.
Add marinara sauce and cooked pasta, mix well. Cover and remove from heat.
In a bowl, mix ricotta with remaining 1 clove of minced garlic, fresh basil (reserving 1 tbsp for garnish) and salt and pepper to taste.
Drop ricotta mixture by heaping spoonful into the skillet and top with remaining basil and Parmesan cheese. Cover until cheese is melted and serve.