What’s better than breakfast that prepares itself overnight while you’re sleeping? Nothing… the answer is nothing. Overnight oats do just that, all while packing a powerful nutritional punch loaded with fiber, vitamins and nutrients to help support gut health.
Overnight oats are a powerful combo alone, but these Blueberry Orange Overnight Oats (say that five times fast ha) are not only good for you but absolutely delicious! Making them the perfect breakfast combo to get you on course for a productive day! Who knew your new favorite breakfast food could actually be supporting the health of your gut? It’s true, this simple recipe is packed full of gut friendly tasty ingredients your whole body will thank you for! Did I mention they taste like dessert? Yeah they do.
Just look at this gut friendly line up.
GUT HEALTHY BREAKFAST TEAM PLAYERS
- Oats are an extremely healthy grain rich with antioxidants and loaded with prebiotic benefits. They contain large amounts of beta-glucan fiber and increase healthy gut bacteria.
- Kefir grains contain 30 strains of good bacteria and yeasts, making it a very rich and diverse probiotic source. Fermented foods are your guts bff.
- Chia Seeds are rich in fiber, protein, omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants and micronutrients. The soluble fibers in chia seeds may help to slow down digestion, which can prevent blood sugar spikes after eating a meal and promote a feeling of fullness.
- Blueberries are packed full of antioxidants, vitamin K and fiber. This powerful superfood can improve our immune system and diversify our gut bacteria.
- Almonds are packed full of vitamin E and many other minerals which play a role in increasing good bacteria in the gut.
- Bananas can help reduce inflammation with their high levels of potassium and magnesium, as well as help to restore the health of the bacterial community in the gut.
- Oranges and their high levels of vitamin C are key to supporting a healthy immune system.
5 REASONS TO LOVE OVERNIGHT OATS
- Simplicity. Dump and stir. ANYONE can do that.
- Stay fuller for longer. Oats are a BIG bang for your diet buck.
- Avoid HANGER and poor food choices throughout the day. Be in charge.
- ENERGY. Carbs are your friend.
- DESSERT for breakfast. The end.
If you haven’t jumped on the overnight oats train yet, all aboard! The time has come. Make these, I promise you will be converted.
SOAK YO’ OATS
There is a reason they are called overnight oats and not one hour oats. Let them soak. This is key for proper digestion. The starches break down overnight which improves digestibility and the natural phytic acid (which all plants contain btw) is greatly reduced making them easily absorbed by your body.
I used to think my gut couldn’t handle oats, truth is, I was preparing them wrong all along. I never have a problem digesting overnight oats, making them a staple in my daily diet.
FOOD IS MEDICINE
Good health starts with the gut. I can’t stress this enough. There was a time in my life where I had to reply solely on food to heal my body. I was sick and too young to understand that the food I had been eating was slowly killing me, but it was.
The food you eat can be either the safest and most powerful form of medicine or the slowest form of poison. ― Ann Wigmore
This quote saved my life. It’s been 15 years and my journey is ongoing. I am constantly experimenting in the kitchen, creating new recipes that are gut friendly. With flu season approaching it is so important we arm our bodies from the inside out, starting with our gut.
This recipe is the perfect introduction. I hope you love it as much as we do!
You can find all of these ingredients at your local Kroger store, which is Smith’s for us in Utah. Right now they are offering $50 worth of wellness essentials digital coupons to help to save on items to keep your immune system healthy and strong. So you can build a healthy gut AND save money at the same time! Win!
If you love overnight oats, make sure to try this one too!! Enjoy!!
Blueberry Orange Overnight Oats
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned gluten free oats
- 2 cup Simple Truth Organic unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 cup organic kefir
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 ripe organic bananas mashed
- 1 organic orange zest first and the cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 cup organic blueberries
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- 3 tbsp orange zest
- 2 tbsp raw honey optional for sweetness not included in nutritional info
- 3 tbsp sliced almonds
- 1 1/2 tsp almond extract
Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Stir well to combine.
Divide into 4 mason jars or glass containers with tightly fitting lids.
Cover and refrigerate up to 8 hours or overnight.
Add a splash of almond milk before serving and enjoy!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Kroger, the opinions and text are all mine.