The Best Homemade Ranch Dressing takes just minutes to make and tastes better than anything you can pick up at the supermarket. It’s made with real whole food ingredients and the finest Watkins Organic Spices. With a homemade dressing this delicious and easy to put together, you will never find yourself buying store bought ranch dressing again. Your family will thank you for years to come.
The Best Homemade Ranch Dressing aka Magic Sauce
When I was younger my mom used to trick me with her homemade dips and dressings to get our vegetables down. All vegetables had code names, too. It’s a hack I’ve carried on with my own children and one I share with everyone I know dealing with picky eaters. Call a broccoli floret a tree and dip it onto a puddle of creamy goodness, you’ll be surprised how much vitamin C and folate you can get into those little bellies!
There is no other dip or dressing in this world that can get vegetables into my kids’ bellies quite like this homemade ranch dressing. I like to call it Clean Eats MAGIC SAUCE! I always have a fresh bottle in the fridge ready to go at all times, it’s my secret mealtime mom weapon!
This recipe goes back decades in our family. In fact, my mother stocked the same Watkins spices in her kitchen spice cabinet as I do now. There’s quite a bit of nostalgia here for me. I can remember helping my mom in the kitchen as a little girl, tippy toed on my designated lime green wooden stool built by my grandpa. Cooking and creating in the kitchen together meant everything to me. Yes, I know I share that often, but it truly is one of my fondest childhood memories. Now I’m the mom, it’s my kitchen and the stool is black and from IKEA, but we are together and it’,s my favorite place to be.
Homemade Ranch Dressing Ingredients
Quality ingredients can either make or break a recipe. Fresh is always best and in this case, it’s a must. Old spices that have been sitting in the back of your spice cabinet just won’t cut it. Make sure to grab fresh spices beforehand for the best results. I use, and love, Watkins Organic Spices and Spice blends. Not only are they sealed full of flavor but they are Clean Eats approved.
Did you know Watkins Spices are made with the highest-quality, USDA Organic Certified and Non-GMO Project Verified herbs and spices sourced from trusted growers that follow sustainable standards to ensure the best flavor in every meal? They are also free from dyes, high-fructose corn syrup, added MSG and other artificial ingredients. They are clean as a whistle! I find mine at my local Winco.
Full fat dairy is key for this recipe for a number of reasons. Flavor, texture and nutritional benefits just to name a few. Full fat dairy is far less processed, more satiating and tastes so much better than its lower fat varieties. If we’re going to be making our own homemade ranch dressing, let’s keep the ingredients list to a minimal yes?
Here’s what you’ll need to make the best homemade ranch dressing…
- Parmesan cheese
- Fresh garlic
- Lemon zest
- Watkins Organic Basil Leaves
- Watkins Organic Garlic Powder
- Watkins Organic Himalayan Pink Salt
- Watkins Organic Ground Black Pepper
How to make Homemade Ranch Dressing
- Start with quality ingredients.
- Whisk. DO NOT blend. Whisking will ensure a thick and creamy texture, where blending can create a thin watery consistency.
- Allow dressing to refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving. The longer the spices have time to mingle, the better the flavor.
- Store in an airtight glass container for up to one week. I like to use a mason jar.
- Lick the bowl.
How to build a crowd pleasing crudité platter
My mom was the queen of veggie trays growing up. She always had the most beautiful boards and they were always the star of the table. She taught me at a young age how to use my artistic creativity when creating food and putting together platters has always been my favorite way to express that.
Here’s what I’ve learned…
- Start with a large round or rectangular platter. Wood, marble, slate, metal and ceramic work well.
- Base the size of your platter on the size of your crowd.
- Place a bowl in the center or off to the side of the platter for dips and dressings. More than one is fine.
- Cut your veggies in different lengths, shapes and sizes. Get creative here.
- Arrange your veggies by color around the board.
- Offset each side of your board with coordinating vegetables for symmetry.
- Layer with olives or nuts, dried fruits, etc. for texture and depth.
- Artfully arrange each item and have fun!
Food is my love language
I love food, like a lot. I couldn’t pick a favorite food group if I tried. However, it’s more than just flavor, calories and nourishment to me. I love to feed people. It’s all about what sitting down and communing with others represents. It’s a way to bring people together, to love on them, to listen and to nourish.
The love language of food is embedded in my DNA. I was born with it, passed down to me from my parents and especially my mother. It’s a gift she gave to me and that I hope to pass onto my own children.
This tiny corner of the internet is a way I can share my love language with all of you, too. So, sit down around your table with me, my recipes are created with love and purpose. I hope you enjoy them with the ones you love most.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of The Watkins Co. All opinions expressed are my own.
The Best Homemade Ranch Dressing
With flavors this fresh, you will never buy store-bought ranch dressing again!
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup mayonaise I prefer homemade
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan fresh is key
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 4 tsp Watkins Organic Dried Basil
- 1/2 tsp Watkins Organic Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Watkins Organic Onion Powder
- pinch Watkins Organic Himalayan Pink Salt
- pinch Watkins Ground Black Pepper
Whisk together the buttermilk and mayonnaise in a mixing bowl.
Gently fold in the parmesan cheese, garlic, lemon zest and spices into the buttermilk and mayonnaise mix with a spatula until well blended.
Transfer to a serving dish or jar and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. The longer the flavors mingle, the better the flavor.
Serve with your favorite green salad or as a dip for veggies! Enjoy!