The temperatures have dropped a good 20 degrees over the last week in our neck of the woods. Rain, wind and a chill in the air has us welcoming fall with open arms, it is my absolute favorite season of the entire year! Nothing says fall more to me than a hearty bowl of homemade chili. Well, chili and a sweet cinnamon pumpkin candle. Hello fall, we’ve missed you.
This Tasty Turkey Chili is my go-to on a crisp fall day. It’s easy, budget friendly, healthy and DELICIOUS! It also freezes perfectly and makes for the most delicious leftovers, if you have any. My teenagers and their friends have taken down an entire batch in one sitting. I swear teenage boys are bottomless pits.
I am always on the hunt for affordable meals for our family. When you’re feeding four adults (and one mini adult), the grocery bill can skyrocket, and fast! The key for me is shopping sales. I check my local ads and build my grocery list and meal plan from there. When I saw that my local Smiths grocery store was having a sale including canned beans and natural ground turkey, I knew chili was on the menu! Right now during their 5x event (September 27th-October 10th) you can download digital coupons up to FIVE times for over $100 in savings. This is the time to stock up friends! So we did just that, I see lots of chili in our future. No complaints over here.
I love a budget friendly meal but love it even more when it’s quick and easy! The Instant Pot has been saving dinner in the Clean Eats kitchen since 2015! Anything you can do in the crock pot, you can do in the Instant Pot ten times faster. If you don’t already have one, get one!
This recipe tastes like it has been simmering all day long, but is ready to eat in under 30 minutes! The order in which the ingredients are added is key to the final result.
Its simple really…
Step one: sauté your onions and peppers in olive oil on the sauté setting. Once the onions are translucent, add in your ground turkey and seasonings. Sauté until turkey is no longer pink.
Step two: add beef broth, green chiles, salsa, tomato paste and crushed tomatoes, in that order and stir. DO NOT add the beans or zucchini yet.
Step three: place lid on pot making sure vent is sealed. Set the Instant Pot to manual for 10 minutes, allow for a natural release. Once ready remove the lid and add the beans and zucchini. Stir.
The shredded zucchini melts right in. Nobody will even know its in there. Sneaky.
Step four: place lid back on pot making sure vent is sealed. Cook on manual for another 5 minutes, manually release pressure and allow to simmer on warm for 10-15 minutes. I like to use my glass lid for this.
Look at all that chunky GOODNESS! Can you spot the zucchini? Told ya. MAGIC!
Step five: top with sour cream, cheese, avocado and cilantro. We like to dip ours with tortilla chips!
Step six: EAT! DEVOUR! ENJOY!
Yield 6-8 servings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb Simple Truth Organics natural ground turkey
- 1 package clean taco seasoning (or 3 tbsp homemade)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4-1 tsp red pepper flakes (1/4 tsp is mild)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) beef broth
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 1 (14.5 ounces) crushed fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 can (7 ounces) mild green chile peppers, chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 can simple truth organic kidney beans, drained
- 1 can simple truth organics black beans, drained
- 2 medium zucchini, shredded
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 avocado, sliced
- fresh limes, sliced
- cilantro (optional)
- Select sauté on your Instant Pot. Once the display shows HOT add the oil, onions and peppers. Sauté until onions are translucent.
- Add ground turkey and seasonings. Brown turkey by stirring often to break up chunks.
- Add beef broth, green chiles, salsa, tomato paste and crushed tomatoes, in that order and give it a good stir. DO NOT add the beans or zucchini.
- Close the lid and turn valve to sealing. Cook on manual for 10 minutes, allow for a natural release.
- Once ready remove the lid and add the beans and zucchini. Stir.
- Close the lid and turn valve to sealing. Cook on manual for an additional 5 minutes, manually release pressure and allow to simmer on warm for 10-15 minutes. I like to use my glass lid for this.
- Adjust seasonings if needed and serve with cheese, sour cream, avocado and cilantro. Enjoy
Crock Pot version
- Sauté onions and peppers until onions are translucent, add turkey. Brown until no longer pink..
- Add all remaining ingredients, stir and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
*Stove top would also work.