You all voted and vegetables in a cloud is up and here to stay! This recipe is original to my older children’s paternal grandmother. With her permission, I am sharing it here with all of you! Thanks Judi!
Vegetables in a cloud is not a recipe you’ll be bookmarking for your new year resolutions, but it sure makes for a memorable side dish. One your kids will happily devour too!! Literally every child in our entire extended family gobbles it right up! I should have renamed it Magic Veggies!
We have served vegetables in a cloud on our holiday spread for decades and it isn’t going anywhere! So put on your stretchy pants and enjoy!
Just look at all the creamy goodness! Layers and layers of fresh vegetables smothered in magic sauce! How could I not share this with you!? If you struggle getting vegetables into your kids bellies, this recipe will be your saving grace!! You’re welcome.
Vegetables in a Cloud Ingredients
- water chestnuts
- whipping cream
- parmesan cheese
- cheddar cheese
- season salt
It sounded healthy until you got halfway through that list LOL. I know what you’re thinking… WHOA… but here me out. This recipe is one to enjoy on special occasions, not everyday. All things in moderation, even moderation, right?
Sure we eat a clean and wholesome diet 80% of the time, but we also love to enjoy our favorite treats and traditions. And you should too! Please allow yourself grace to enjoy special occasions with your family minus restrictions. I beg you.
Tips for making vegetables in a cloud
- Use fresh vegetables, frozen will result in too much moisture.
- After steaming your vegetables make sure you drain well for a good 10-15 minutes in a strainer. Again to remove excess moisture.
- Whip cream to stiff peaks. Not whipping long enough will make for a runnier sauce.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes after pulling from the oven.
- Hide the leftovers from your family. You deserve them.
I hope vegetables in a cloud becomes a family tradition for you’re family too! Let me know if you make it this year and come back and tell me what you think! Happy Thanksgiving friends!!
Other Thanksgiving Recipes to try
Vegetables in a Cloud
- 3 cups broccoli, cut into bite size pieces
- 3 cups cauliflower, cut into bite size pieces
- 5 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cans sliced water chesnuts, drained,
- 16 ounces whipping cream
- 1/2 cup mayonaise
- 1/2 cup parmasan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp Redmond season salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Sauté onions in olive oil until translucent.
Cook broccolli, carrots and cauiflower in a small amount of water until crisp tender.
Grease a 9×13 glass baking dish with cooking spray.
Add onions and steamed vegeatbles to baking dish. Sprinkle generously with season salt.
Whip cream in a bowl with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
Fold mayoaise and cheese into whipped cream and spread evenly on top of vegeatbels.
Bake for 45 min or until the top is brown and bubbly.