Its January, and with it brings a fresh start to a new year. I aways feel so inspired to clean up our act a bit. It always feels good to reset. Agreed?
We enjoyed the holidays and although we did the PFPF 21 day challenge + a strict no sugar cleanse (mainly for the hubby… shhh) until the 21st, we made up for lost time between the 22nd and New Years! We didn’t over due it, but when your body is used to a squeaky clean diet and you indulge meal after meal, you feel it. We are feeling it.
I woke up this morning ready to detox from all the gluttonous holiday eats and this salad was just the ticket! Its packed full of powerful ingredients to keep you energized and feeling your best!
- Kale: contains chlorophyll which has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties
- Cabbage: helps eliminate toxins from your liver
- Avocado: contains a variety of carotenoids with anti-inflammatory properties
- Parsley: is packed with vitamins that are great in aiding your kidneys and bladder
- Cranberries: offer antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-cancer health benefits
- Lemon: helps convert toxins into a water soluble form to help elimination
- Ginger: helps boost your metabolism which will kickstart the detox process
- Garlic: detoxifies heavy metals in the body and fights infection
- cayenne: aids in digestion
I make a huge batch and enjoy a little with every meal! I’ll toss a portion of the chopped vegetables with the dressing and refrigerate the remaining dressing and veggies in separate airtight containers for later. Also, I only add the avocado to the part I’m eating at the time to keep it from turning brown and mushy.
You could swap or add any other combo of veggies to mix it up. These are my staples, but I also love to add cucumber, red pepper, apple, celery and sometimes a pinch of freshly grated parmesan! There really is no wrong way to throw this together! Make this + grab a copy of our ebook Clean Eating Simplified to smash your NYR!!!
Detox Salad with Maple Dijon Vinaigrette
- 1 bunch kale, chopped
- 1/2 head purple cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 large red onion, finely diced
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- 4 large carrots, shredded
- 1/8 cup sprouted sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries (no sugar added)
- 2 avocados, sliced
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
For the dressing (makes 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup avocado oil (plus 1 tbsp to massage kale)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup to lightly sweeten
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1-2 cloves fresh garlic
- 1-inch knob of fresh ginger, grated
- dash or cayenne
- Add all dressing ingredients to a mason jar and shake well. Set aside.
- Shred carrots and cabbage in a food processor.
- Finely chop kale, parsley and onion.
- Add kale to a large bowl and drizzle with 1 tbsp avocado oil. Massage kale until soft.
- Add remaining ingredients and drizzle with vinaigrette. Reserve leftover dressing for later.
- Serve immediately. Add avocado separately if you plan to store leftovers.