With warmer weather just around the corner, I am ready for some light and simple lunches. I grew up on cucumber and dill havarti sandwiches as a kid and I crave them to this day! Now my kids love this sandwich as much as I do. It’s light, crunchy and full of flavor.
I have a gluten sensitivity, yet sprouted grains seem to be okay for me to eat. My favorite bread since I was young has been Jack Spratts. Its local to Utah and has the best flavor and texture. It can be hard to find, so when shopping for sprouted bread stick to these guidelines.
- Look for breads with the majority of their grains listed as sprouted on the ingredient list.
- Check labels, the shorter the ingredient list the better.
- Shop in the refrigerated section, while some of the non-refrigerated versions may be more likely to contain preservatives.
- Buy local if possible.
Here is another brand we love if you can’t get your hands on Jacks.
They key to this sandwich is the slicing of the avocado, it has to be thin. I like to slice mine in the skin and then scoop it out with a large spoon. Then fan it out evenly on a slice of bread and sprinkle with salt and pepper. The recipe calls for half an avocado, but feel free to use the whole thing. There’s no such thing as too much avo. Am I right?
Thinly sliced cucumbers are also a key player. I use my hand held mandolin slicer on the thickest setting, and it works perfectly. Just avoid slicing any body parts. My fingers have seen a few unfortunate mishaps. Ouch!
Next, on the opposite slice of bread, spread blue cheese dressing and then layer with havarti and sliced cucumbers, sprinkle with dill generously.
Once both sides are perfectly dressed, slap them together, slice in half and enjoy! Just look at all that green goodness! Now I’m craving a cucumber avocado sandwich! Gotta run!
Cucumber Avocado Sandwich with Dill Havarti
Yield 2 sandwiches
- 4 slices sprouted grain bread
- 1/2 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 medium avocado, thinly sliced
- 2 slices havarti cheese
- 2 tbsp blue cheese dressing
- sprinkle of dried dill
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Layer blue cheese and havarti on one slice of bread, top with two layers sliced cucumbers and a sprinkle of dill.
- On the other slice of bread, fan sliced avocado with a sprinkle of salt and pepper on top.
- Place a piece of bread, sliced avocado side down, on top to sandwich all of the fillings together. Repeat with second sandwich. Serve immediately.